Pembrokeshire Coast Path
Milford Haven to Dale
Description: A comparatively easy walk without any serious gradients but it does need careful planning to avoid a long detour, should a high tide be covering the stepping stones at Sandy Haven.
Distance: 9 miles 14.5 km
Public Transport: The Puffin Shuttle bus service covers this route. For timetables go to www.pembrokeshire.gov.uk/coastbus (opens new window)
Refreshments: Plenty of choice at Milford Haven. Pub and cafe at Dale.
Nearest Tourist Information Centre: Milford Haven, Suite 19, Cedar Court. Tel 01437 771818 E-mail email@example.com
- Start from the marina. Cross over the bridge and turn left along St Anne’s Road.
- Keep in as straight a path as possible through Hakin.
- Just past the school, turn left and drop down to Gelliswick Bay.
- The path heads up the other side, past some houses and around the natural gas refinery before reaching Sandy Haven.
- The stepping stones across Sandy Haven Pill are are only reliably dry 2½ hours either side of low tide. Get your timing wrong and you’ll face a 3½ mile detour.
- Tide times are available here.
- There are some great views along the next section and the stunning Lindsway beach, especially if it’s low tide.
- Clamber down to the beach if you have time before continuing to the rocky little beach at Monk Haven, passing some interesting buildings en-route.
- At Musselwick, get down onto the beach at the earliest opportunity and continue along the foreshore to The Gann, a great place for birdwatching.
- The Gann can only be crossed 3½ hours each side of low tide but the detour is only 2 miles this time!
- Head along the pebble ridge and follow the road into Dale.
- If in doubt, follow the acorn symbols that indicate where the route goes.
Attractions en-route: Milford Haven museum & marina
ID: 1530 Revised: 2/9/2011